Finally I upgraded to Lightroom 2.3

Yep, I’ve done it again – I upgraded from Lightroom 2.0 to version 2.3, after having watched several conversations on the stability of the software. (There were issues with minor releases 1.4, 2.1, and 2.2, so I was very careful to not upgrade to another mediocre version.)

So far, version 2.3 works pretty good for me. And it seems to be a bit faster, too. I measured the throughput of the software on my two-and-a-half-year old production laptop that I used as a reference system for all LR performance tests:

Exporting 327 images (205 from the 1Ds III, 122 from the 1D III) took 69 minutes, i.e. 1.34 megapixel per second. The same job on the same system took 76 minutes with version 2.0, i.e. 1.21 megapixel per second. So for us, Lightroom 2.3 is 10% faster upon export than 2.0. It is still not anywhere close to the 1.51 megapixel that version 1.4.1 achieved, but that’s to be expected as there are no gradient filters in the old version.

A lot of annoying bugs seem to be fixed in 2.3, like the nasty undo-bug or the weird behaviour of the TAB key. So far it’s been working rather solid, so if you think about upgrading now, I’d suggest to do it.

Comments are closed.